Friday, April 15, 2005

I've got a cold. We've got pills that can give you a day-long stiffy, but for the common cold - nothing. One of my favorite things about a cold is when you blow your nose and it feels like one of your eyes is trying to pop out. It's springtime, I should be running around enjoying the newfound warmth of the day, rejoicing in the disappearance of the snow. Instead I sit here, my head stuffed with mucus or cotton (can't really tell), and I can't help thinking that I know what a bobblehead doll feels like.

Has this happened to you? You drive down a street, you go through an intersection with traffic lights, and you suddenly realize you can't remember if the light was green or not? You check the rearview to see whether or not you just narrowly avoided an accident, and sigh in relief when the light was in fact green. That's how it's going to happen, you know. It's those momentary lapses in concentration, when you're thinking about anything but what you're doing, and WHAM! Accident. You get used to something, you forget to respect it. Driving requires a great deal of attention and skill, but if you've been doing it for a long time, you lose respect for it, and WHAM! Accident. I've had my share of close calls in my day, and every time it was because I wasn't paying attention. I'm not so fatalistic as to believe that I will have an accident someday, but on long trips, I always feel greatly relieved when we make it home safely.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red Bull

Lots and lots of Red Bull

3:14 PM  
Blogger stonedog said...

Doesn't that shit shrink your nads or something?

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah.

It just causes you to have a heart attack if you mix it with vodka. Since you are not going to be doing that while driving you should not worry too much.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home