Sunday, December 13, 2009

100 Best Rock Songs of the 00's

It's the end of the decade, which means lists aplenty, and why wouldn't I join the incessant babble? I may not be a critic, or anybody remotely important, but I know what I like. I should point out right at the start that I obviously have not heard and evaluated every single song that has been released this decade. I'm a huge fan of music in general, and I'll listen to anything, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I work for a living. So I apologize for any glaring omissions, but chances are, if I missed a particular song or artist, it's probably because I haven't heard them yet. Unless we're talking about Nickelback, in which case, I have heard Nickelback, and can I just say, fuck Nickelback.

Okay, here's the list, and forget the suspense, because I'm starting from the top. I should also point out that once you get past the top 20 or so, the rest of the list is pretty much equal in value. The 100th best song is pretty much as good as the 26th best song. It's silly enough trying to rank artistic expression in the first place (not that I'm letting that stop me), but I spent most of my time getting happy with the top 20, so yeah, those songs are probably better than the others. Or not.

1. Matthew Good - Weapon
2. Silversun Pickups - Lazy Eye
3. Franz Ferdinand - Take Me Out
4. Chevelle - The Red
5. Evanescence - Bring Me To Life
6. The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love
7. A Perfect Circle - Weak and Powerless (Tilling My Grave Remix)
8. Matthew Good - Champions of Nothing
9. Wilco - Spiders Kidsmoke
10. Switchfoot - Stars
11. Wolfmother - Joker & The Thief
12. Jay Z & Linkin Park - Points of Authority/99 Problems/One Step Closer Remix
13. Coldplay - Fix You
14. Snow Patrol - Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking
15. Queens of the Stone Age - Long Slow Goodbye
16. Vertical Horizon - Shackled
17. Audioslave - Like A Stone
18. Danko Jones - Lovercall
19. Jet - Black Hearts (On Fire)
20. Matthew Good - Blue Skies Over Bad Lands
21. Rammstein - Moskau
22. Sum 41 - In Too Deep
23. White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl
24. Kings of Leon - Closer
25. Linkin Park - The Little Things Give You Away
26. Nine Inch Nails - Right Where It Belongs
27. Our Lady Peace - Angels Losing Sleep
28. A Perfect Circle - Judith
29. Radiohead - Everything In Its Right Place
30. Switchfoot - This Is Your Life
31. The Tragically Hip - The Lonely End Of The Rink
32. Train - It's About You
33. Hoobastank - The Reason
34. Band of Horses - I Go To The Barn Because I Like The
35. Death Cab For Cutie - Grapevine Fires
36. Matthew Good - Man Of Action
37. Snow Patrol - Run
38. SR-71 - Last Man On The Moon
39. Fall Out Boy - I Don't Care
40. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
41. KT Tunstall - Hold On
42. Stroke 9 - Kick Some Ass
43. Barenaked Ladies - Wind It Up
44. Jet - Are You Gonna Be My Girl
45. Live - Sweet Release
46. Sum 41 - Open Your Eyes
47. The Raconteurs - Steady As She Goes
48. Vertical Horizon - Miracle
49. Matthew Good - Born Losers
50. Metric - Gimme Sympathy
51. Sarah McLachlan - River
52. Wilco - Impossible Germany
53. Delerium - Daylight
54. Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls
55. Carolina Liar - Last Night
56. Jars Of Clay - Trouble Is
57. Jimmy Eat World - The Middle
58. The Fray - How To Save A Life
59. Linkin Park - In The End
60. Alter Bridge - Open Your Eyes
61. Bif Naked - Twitch
62. MGMT - Time To Pretend
63. Pearl Jam - Inside Job
64. Snow Patrol - If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It
65. Fear Factory - Linchpin
66. Airbourne - What's Eatin' You
67. Chevelle - Send The Pain Below
68. P.O.D. - Sleeping Awake
69. Scratching Post - Fade Away
70. The Darkness - One Way Ticket
71. Black Stone Cherry - Long Sleeves
72. Audioslave - Be Yourself
73. Puddle Of Mudd - Blurry
74. Matthew Good - Last Parade
75. A Perfect Circle - Three Libras
76. Coldplay - Speed of Sound
77. Shiny Toy Guns - Frozen Oceans
78. Switchfoot - Dare You To Move
79. The Tragically Hip - Are We Family
80. The Editors - Put Your Head Towards The Air
81. Train - Cab
82. Barenaked Ladies - Pinch Me
83. Fountains of Wayne - Hey Julie
84. Biffy Clyro - Who's Got A Match
85. Jet - Walk
86. Kasabian - Cutt Off
87. Mike Doughty - Looking At The World From The Bottom Of A Well
88. Kings of Leon - Knocked Up
89. Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows
90. Rammstein - Amerika
91. Tenacious D - Wonderboy
92. The Last Goodnight - One Trust
93. The Strokes - Red Light
94. The Tea Party - Stargazer
95. Band of Horses - Is There A Ghost
96. Metric - Glass Ceiling
97. SR-71 - Tomorrow
98. Sum 41 - There's No Solution
99. Beck - Lost Cause
100. A Perfect Circle - Fiddle and the Drum

If you got this far, thanks for reading, and feel free to tell me all about what I missed and how that makes me a complete idiot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home