Monday, July 25, 2005

Wal-Mart Nixes 'Singles Shopping'

Officials at Wal-Mart headquarters in Bentonville, Ark., ordered their Roanoke store to put an end to Singles Shopping, the only program of its kind at Wal-Mart's U.S. stores. Taking a cue from Wal-Marts in Germany, the month-old program encouraged customers on Friday evenings to pick up a red bow they could place on their shopping carts as an invitation to other singles. "Flirt points" were set up in various sections of the store. A Wal-Mart spokesman declined to comment on the reason behind the program's cancellation. But customer Dale Firebaugh, who showed up Friday night hoping to meet his match, said store employees told him several people had complained. "I'm disappointed," said Firebaugh, 63. "Where can someone over 40 who doesn't smoke or drink or go to bars meet someone?"

It figures that Wal-Mart would be quick to nix a smart idea because 'several people' complained. Once again, people who love poking their noses in other people's business decide that they are morally superior to everyone else and are qualified to pass judgment. I think this was a cute idea, and I can't even fathom what kind of objection anyone could have to it, but I guess if it started in Germany, it must be bad. If I were a Wal-Mart competitor, I'd be jumping on this idea in a heartbeat.

I'd also make sure to keep selling albums with 'obscene' lyrics and Grand Theft Auto and reasonably-priced items that weren't made by ten-year-old girls in Thailand.

I have lots of wacky ideas like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home